We know it’s Wednesday. We also know there’s a good chance your head is pounding and you need some grease in your system just to feel like you’re not currently riding the (dearly departed) Schussboomer at Worlds of Fun. We helped get you into this pickle with ideas for how to fill your head with suds and bubbles, so we feel like we owe it to you to help guide you back out of your maladies.
With that, here are five meals to cure your hangover in Kansas City.
5. Breakfast at the Mixing Bowl Noshery (520 Southwest Boulevard). They open at 7 a.m. and you can give yourself to generous portions of flapjacks, sticky buns (in flavors like pumpkin walnut), waffles or biscuits and gravy. Oh yeah, and the regular Wednesday special? They offer breakfast all day.
4. Cheeseburger at Jim’s Diner (6901 Prospect Avenue). If you can tackle the double, it should come with a t-shirt. The burgers are made to order, so call ahead if you’re taking it to go (the one table inside holds three people). An order of crisp, salty tater tots, crinkle cut fries or battered onion rings comes in a waxy white bag as deep as Neil deGrasse Tyson. This is the time of year when they start taking orders for deep-fried turkeys. If you’re stressing about a holiday turkey, Jim’s is a reliable option for your Thanksgiving table.
3. Cinnamon Roll French Toast Platter at Kate’s Kitchen (8002 N Oak Trafficway). It’s two big slices of Cinnamon Roll French toast, a pair of eggs and your choice of meat (this is where you say, ‘bacon.’). Sweet, salty, fatty — all the tastebud bells and whistles. This one’s a plate tipper, the kind of breakfast where you push back from the table with your belly, rather than your hands. They should call this one a ‘sweatpants meal.’ If you want the minimalist version, just ask for a cinnamon roll and side of bacon.
2. Burger, Fries, Shake & Pie at Town Topic (2021 Broadway). If you feel like you haven’t yet left the parade route, salvation is close at hand. This is one of the rare spots where you can precog a hangover or try and deal with one while it’s happening. Town Topic is 24 hours and you should opt for a double cheeseburger, french fries (hash browns — ask for them well done — are an acceptable substitute), a chocolate shake and a slice of pie.
1. Cheeseburger Pizza at Minsky’s. The Kansas City Royals’ front office was recently gifted 25 Minsky’s pizzas by the San Francisco Giants [It’s a good story, read it here]. You can gift yourself or a fellow suffering fan with a Cheeseburger Pizza. This isn’t just hamburger crumbled on top of a pizza pie. It’s a full-on mash-up of what Hot Pockets was always meant to be, but hasn’t yet achieved. There is mustard and pickles and onions and Minskitoni sauce (a sweeter version of their standard pizza sauce) and mozzarella and cheddar cheese and crust. It’s a little slice of burger and it’s exactly what you need to feel like a champion again.[Images via Facebook: Minsky’s, Town Topic, & Mixing Bowl Noshery]