It’s cool in the mornings and you’ve got blankets on the couch — it’s officially football season. Whether you care about the sport or not, there are opportunities aplenty to pack on some winter weight. With that in mind we put together five ways for you to eat your way through the football season in Kansas City.
5. BBQ Nachos- – BB’s Lawnside BBQ (1205 E 85th Street). These things have some heft. The BBQ Nachos are tortilla chips piled with pulled pork smoked on hickory, barbecue beans, chili cheese dip, sour cream and chives.
4. Tailgate Stack — Arrowhead Stadium. One of the new foods at Chiefs’ home games this year, the Tailgate Stack tops a piece of frybread with burnt ends, cheddar cheese sauce, syrup, bacon and a fried egg. It’s like brunch ran into Guy Fieri in the parking lot. Your next opportunity to tackle this one is when the New England Patriots come to town for Monday Night Football on September 29.
3. Pigskin Cupcake — Cupcake A La Mode (11529 Ash Street, Leawood, & 4639 Wornall Road). This salty/sweet dessert begins life as a modest chocolate cupcake. Then it gets dunked in Guinness, filled with Guinness buttercream and rolled in chopped bacon and pretzels before being drizzed with dark chocolate and sea salt. It’s available on Sundays and Mondays only.
2. Burnt End Chili — Schloegel’s Woodyward Bar-B-Que (3001 Merriam Lane, Kansas City, Kansas). Studded with hunks of meat and having just the right amount of heat, this is year-round chili. Get yourself a bowl, plant yourself on the communal picnic tables and then bask in the glory of the smoker where your burnt ends were made.
1. Sausage Saturday — Werner’s Fine Sausages (5736 Johnson Drive, Mission). You might as well start your tailgate on Saturday and you’re in good hands with the grill at Werner’s. Step into the line, and there will be a line (don’t worry it moves fast), and order yourself a cheddar bier bratwurst, spicy Andouille or a Smoked Polish (a mix of beef and pork). They grill Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. [They’ve got the full coterie on the weekends, but they also grill up a pair of choices every Thursday.] [Images via Cupcake A La Mode/Werner’s]