Tuesday is not the only day that is worthy of a food theme. We’d like to humbly propose Chicken Mondays as a possibility for your gustatory pleasure. There are a host of chicken deals and options that are worth a flying cluck or two. And new chicken choices keep popping up — Feast Magazine reported that Gus’ World Famous Fried Chicken (a Tennessee import) will open near Joe’s Kansas City in Kansas City, Kansas, this fall. So, before we get to Taco Tuesday, here are five ways to make it Chicken Monday in Kansas City.
5. Fried Chicken To Go — Rye (10551 Mission Road, Leawood, Kansas). Colby and Megan Garrelts’ restaurant in Mission Farms now offers what amounts to a picnic on the go. Their family packs of fried chicken serve between two and six people. You can snag fried chicken, mac and cheese with bacon, rolls, pickles and salad or pie (there’s only choice in this scenario — make it the lemon meringue).
4. Wood-Fired Chicken Mondays — Taco Republic (500 County Line Road, Kansas City, Kansas). Just a little ways away from the future home of Gus’ World Famous Fried Chicken, Taco Republic has a to-go chicken special on Mondays. It’s a whole chicken, rice, beans and white corn tortillas for $15.95. The deal stipulations: You have to take it with you and it’s only available from 4 to 7 p.m.
3. Big Chicken — Port Fonda (4141 Pennsylvania Avenue). Chicken can be filling. It can also be packed with flavor. The Big Chicken at Patrick Ryan’s Westport joint is a whole chicken and two 24-ounce cans of Tecate for $25 plus tax. It’s every Monday night. See, this Chicken Monday thing could work…
2. Korean fried chicken — Bonchon Chicken (1740 NW Chipman Road, Lee’s Summit). Call this a coming Chicken Monday attraction. Bonchon, a restaurant concept out of South Korea, plans to open later this month and crank out Korean dishes (bulgogi, scallion pancake) including the signature twice-fried chicken wings, drums or strips that can be glazed with soy garlic or gochugaru (spicy red chili pepper) sauce. While you’re waiting for Bonchon to arrive and if you’ve got a hankering on a non-Monday, BLVD Tavern (320 Southwest Boulevard) serves up ‘KFC’ with a sweet and spicy crust Tuesday through Sunday.
1. Pollo Entero — El Pollo Alegre (904 N 18th Street, Kansas City, Kansas). You want the pollo entero (whole chicken) that’s wood-smoked and got a nice little bit of char. The whole chicken comes with pickled onions, rice, coleslaw and salsa. And even if you get drinks, you’re leaving with change from a $20 bill from The ‘Cheerful Chicken.’[Images via Rye, Port Fonda, Bonchon]