Today we’re talking about the ‘Circle of Life,’ or as you may know it: the donut. We only have so many days and calories on this earth, so it’s important not to waste them on round yeast orbs that taste of old oil or are as tasteless as the cellophane tubes in which they reside for an eon. [Tomorrow is National Donut Day and as part of the celebration, Lamar’s is giving away a free donut to all who walk in the door.]
For many, the right donut is simply the one they have in their hand at that moment. You can do better. Here are five donuts in Kansas City to start you on your journey of discovering a better donut.
5. Key Lime Donut — Fluffy Fresh (10123 State Line). This seasonal flavor is back and it’s a powdered sugar treasure. The filling has enough tartness to match the cream-filled long john that sits next to it in the case. You can alternate bites or use it as a chaser like Schnapps after a lot of cheese fondue.
4. Long John — Holts Do-Nuts (1325 Main Street, Grandview). If you want to have a say in the kind of donut you order, you need to arrive at this tiny brick building before 9 a.m. Get there early (they open at 5:30 a.m. Tuesday through Sunday), scout the flavors on the chalkboard menu and then order the Long John with a thick slathering of chocolate icing. If the glazed are warm, get those too.
3. Honey Dip — Mr. D’s Donut Shop (11222 W 75th Street, Shawnee). The shop named for the man who makes your donuts is a sweet throwback. Chi-Fen Chang, is typically behind the register, which is next to shelves containing a mish-mash of toys and sundry items. Ask for a honey dip and then simply let it melt over your tongue.
2. Old-Fashioned — Hana’s Donuts (2131 S 34th Street, Kansas City, Kansas). This is the donut shop that arose on the former site of Poston’s Donuts. They get how to make a proper dunker (you can find them in the pastry case at Oddly Correct). For those who need frills, venture into their universe of cherry-flavored creations.
1. Peanut Butter Donut — Donut King (2320 Armour Road). This one is an energy round. A donut that evokes creamy peanut butter and might go well if you stack it on top of a chocolate cruller. Call ahead (816-472-1412) as they’re not made every day.
What’s your favorite donut in KC right now?