Country Breakfast has left the building. After a decade with the Kansas City Royals organization, Billy Butler signed a three-year deal earlier this week with the Oakland Athletics. There’s only thing to do in a time like this — eat an enormous breakfast. It’s what a man who had barbecue before the seventh game of the World Series would want.
In an effort to ease the sting and let you honor the only recent Kansas City athlete with his own barbecue sauce, The Recommended Daily has put together a list of the five places where you can still get your country breakfast fix. Just remember to rev your engines before you dig in.
5. Breakfast all day — Chubby’s on Broadway (3756 Broadway). Everybody has had a night end (why don’t we agree to think of it as a morning beginning) at Chubby’s. The breakfast menu is always available and the portions are apropos of the name.
4. Big Alex — Jerry’s Cafe (1209 W 103rd Street). The Big Alex is two pieces of Texas Toast, hash browns, corned beef hash, two eggs and two slices of cheese topped with gravy. A half-order, let alone the full option, is a food challenge onto itself. Jerry’s might also be the only place in the metro that willingly (and correctly) tops a cinnamon roll with bacon.
3. Big Momma’s Original Large Cinnamon Roll — Big Momma’s Bakery (2450 Grand). Large doesn’t do this cinnamon roll justice. This thing is Costco-sized. It can usually properly feed a family of four. But in times like these, there is no judgment.
2. Big Breakfast — Big Biscuit (multiple locations). It’s two of the entire barnyard. Eggs, bacon, sausage and pancakes come in pairs, alongside biscuits and gravy and potatoes.
1. Burrito of Love — Succotash (2601 Holmes). A plate-covering buttermilk pancake is wrapped around scrambled eggs, bacon and cheddar cheese. There’s no resisting this one, you just have let yourself be enfolded in its warm, fluffy embrace.[Image via Flickr: Charles Sollar Concepts. Pancake stack added]