Downtown hot dog afficionados have been dealt a blow — Franks (520 Southwest Boulevard) has closed. Owner Dan Clothier announced the closing on Facebook:
Although we were immensely gratified by the favorable response to our food and our weekday lunch business could not have been much better, we were unable to garner sufficient evening and weekend business to enable us to cover our overhead at the new location. As we seek to recover from this venture, we will go back to the drawing board to see if we can come back in the not too distant future with an even better version of Franks.
This was the second go-round for Franks, which originally opened in 2011 in the West Bottoms at 1623 Genessee. Clothier, the former owner of the City Tavern, has spent the last three years trying to perfect his vision of charcoal-grilled hot dogs and sausages. The hot dogs were a mixture of pork and beef brined in apple cider and brown sugar. They came topped with everything from Clothier’s meat chili to the standard dress (yellow mustard, onion, neon relish, tomato, dill pickles, celery salt and sport peppers) of a Chicago-style dog.
Franks’ second iteration was open for 15 months in the space that most recently housed a Cricket Wireless store. It joins Cafe Barcelona, Carmen’s on the Boulevard and Don Pepe’s Spanish Cuisine on the list of former restaurants at 520 Southwest Boulevard.