If you pick the right night and right place, you can live large on a dollar in Kansas City. From dessert to brewskis, you can ‘Be Royal,’ even if most days you’re closer to the protagonist at the beginning of a Horatio Alger novel. Here are five of the tastiest things you can snag for a single buck in KC. As always, let us know your best dollar deals in the comments.
5. $1 Beer night at Community America Ballpark (1800 Village West Parkway, Kansas City, Kansas). It’s the national pastime and a cold beer for a George Washington. Celebrate America with the Kansas City T-Bones on June 19 and July 10. Call it your Thursday night special.
4. $1 chocolates at Elbow Chocolates (1819 McGee) on First Fridays. Once a month, Christopher Elbow throws up the doors, does a somersault when his cane sticks in a crack on McGee and lets in the lucky urchins. Between 5 and 9 p.m. on First Fridays, you can grab a piece of chocolate for a buck. If you want your choice of the lot, ditch work early. You won’t be the only one who knows about this.
3. $1 burger night at Bar Louie (101 E 14th Street, 8600 NW Prairie View Road). Whether you’re a proud vegetarian or a carnivore, you can still enjoy a night that doesn’t hurt your wallet. Bar Louie’s dollar burgers (beef, chicken, turkey or portabella) start being served at 5 p.m. on Tuesday nights in their Zona Rosa and Power and Light locations. Cheese will run you an extra 50 cents and it’s worth the splurge.
2. $1 sushi at Friends Sushi & Bento Place (1809 W 39th Street). True to its name, Friends Sushi has lots of admirers on 39th Street. On Mondays from 5 to 9 p.m. and Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., a slice of sushi will only run you $1. If you feel like rolling deep, you can spring for one of the $3.99 rolls on special. Make sure you order enough on the first visit from your server as after 6 p.m. on most Mondays, Friends is as packed as a sardine can.
1. $1 Tacos at Rico’s Tacos Lupe (802 Southwest Boulevard). Start with carne asada or carnitas and then see where the night takes you. The street tacos (ask for a little extra chopped onion and cilantro) cost $1 on Tuesdays (down from their regularly scheduled price of $1.50). You can skip the rice and beans (each side is only an additional $1) and put that money toward getting your picture on the wall. If you down ten tacos, you earn a t-shirt and your mug on the wall for posterity. Rico’s was once cash only, but it now takes cards. However, at $1 a pop, you probably can swing the cash.
Where’s your favorite place to get a drink or eat for $1?[If you’ve only got 99 cents, consider downloading our Kansas City Breweries app — it’s a curated guide to all of the area breweries and brewpubs.]